There is a two-step application process – the submission of a Letter of Intent (LOI) and a more detailed proposal. Applicants must be invited to submit a proposal following review of their LOI. The Centre’s Board of Directors reviews all proposals and is responsible for funding approvals.
The LOI is an important step in our process as only some applicants will be invited to submit a formal proposal. The LOI should be no more than three pages and should address the following:
- Type of grant requested (Project or Learning)
- Amount of funding requested and number of years funding is requested for
- Brief description of the approach and how it advances new knowledge, reduces barriers to food security and has potential scalability
- Overview of the people/organizations the project will reach and demonstrated support for the initiative from these groups
- Expected project outcomes
- Preliminary evaluation questions that a robust evaluation will seek to answer
- Learning objectives that will benefit the grantee and others engaged in advancing food security
- Where applicable, additional sources of funding that support this initiative
- The sustainability of the project after completion of Centre funding
After reviewing the LOIs, the Centre staff will follow up directly with organizations invited to submit formal proposals. Proposals will include greater detail on each of the sections in the LOI, and also include:
- A logic model using a Centre template, including project inputs, activities, outputs and outcomes
- A detailed budget for each year that funding is requested
After a proposal is received, it is reviewed by staff and a sub-committee of the Board. Centre staff will engage the applicant to address gaps and refine the proposal, which may result in several iterations of the proposal. Our partners tell us that this is a valuable process, as it helps to enhance the proposal and the outcomes of the project.
Upon approval of a proposal, an evaluation planning worksheet will be completed by the partner and signed off on by the Centre team.
Our 2020 application period is now closed. Our next deadline to receive LOIs will be announced in August 2021.
Organizations who submitted an LOI in November 2020 can expect to hear back from our team about the status of their application in mid-late December 2020.